Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Spring is here

So, after getting off to a great start and even a "soft opening" of my blog I fell off the face of the natural and electronic community to be in the present moment. Such is life. Moving and transitioning my life has been very wonderful and I am thankful for the changes. However, it has meant that my time outside has shifted and  that I'll have to find a new sit spot, closer to my new place.

It is spring as the rain reminds us every couple of days. It's is warm but then cold, so we can never be sure what to wear. It is a time of transition. The season calls for it. My lack of time outside is a reflection of this transition.

I've seen Snow Geese and Trumpeter Swans flying north, over Bellingham Bay towards their summering grounds in the Arctic circle (in parts of Alaska and Wrangle Island, Siberia, Russia). their departure marks a change in season and indeed an end to the winter.

Speaking of nesting and birds, the American Robins have been out in abundance. Boy are they going after those worms with a vengeance.I watch American Crows and Glaucous-winged Gulls at flight level from the third-floor window of the new apartment.

My new nest is taking shape too. Michelle and I are enjoying our space and moving the twigs around as the other moves the twigs back. Like the birds, we mimic the nesting instinct that is only indicative of the new season. Cleaning the cobwebs from winter and letting the cold and dark go on their merry way. It is Springtime.

On a walk with Michelle yesterday, and during weekend outings with the Boys Explorers' Club, in Fairhaven Park, I have noticed more buds with bigger leaves. The Pussywillows had been out last month and now the Indian Plum are unfurling their ovate green leaves. Soon the Salmonberry will follow suit. Rumor has it that the Stinging Nettles are already getting too big to harvest and I'm sure the Devil's Club thorny reaches are not far behind.

I am getting busy with teaching and work too, so I'm sure that spring is here. Despite being so busy, it is important to spend at least 30 minutes a day outside... just sitting. If nothing else, then a walk in the fresh air will do my mind and body a lot of good.

Happy Spring to us all... let's get outside and enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment