Monday, November 18, 2019

wow... 11 months since I've posted. What a year

From Costa Rica a lot happened. Essentially my former job turned into a nightmare/disaster/toxic situation and I was encouraged out/ opened up to the possibility of leaving. While I can reflect on events from 11 months ago and the subsequent 2 months of bleh that continued, eventually I left my position and it is for the very very best. I'm pretty sure that things had been going mediocrely (if that's a word) for a while but I either chose to ignore them or subconsciously became numb to it all. In the end, I am so thankful for being out of the entire workplace, the position, the positonality, the poison, and so on.

I spent five wonderful months as a stay-at-home parent during which I got to know my son pretty well. I supported the household functioning of our home and kept things together. I even collected my data set for my research! In that time, M's business picked up and she stepped into her own as an employer and business owner. We adjusted and supported each other through difficult and awkward growing points and we came out on the other side stronger and more compassionate of each other and ourselves. (I can only speak for myself but I think she might agree).

Since the summer, I applied for and took a different position with a great employer. Recently I was promoted and transferred departments too. To go from a working environment where no one wants to be there and everyone makes the environment toxic to a place where people are more or less cordial with one another if an incredible difference. While the slow, day-to-day, low-drama life of raising a young person full time is not paid in dollars earned, it is certain the hardest work I have ever done and no work place environment compares with the beauty of watching the toddler eat popcorn with chopsticks as the sun pours in during afternoon snack-time. And there are dollars saved by doing this work, but mostly it is the highest paying salary I will likely ever earn.... the priceless experience of being a in integral part of a small person's life.

We haven't really traveled since Costa Rica and perhaps that is why I haven't posted anything until now. We did the family rounds during April and I had some local travel for conferences and the usual southwest guiding trip (which was great this year), but nothing like a vacation. We are thirsty for one and will soon be making those plans. It has been a very home-y year... traveling with a toddler is tough so we didn't get out too much or too far when we did. We have grown a lot.. together... as a family. And for that I am so grateful and satisfied now though it didn't always seem that there was a good reason for some of the "suffering" throughout the past year! A sigh... and another quiet evening while the toddler tries to fall asleep but is busy reciting all of the new words he learned today. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment