Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Ducks not frightened (from February 8th)

I don't remember much about my sit spot from last Thursday afternoon; I think I was distracted by a job interview for later in the day. But the one thing that stuck out was on my walk back. I saw a male and female Mallard (Anus platyrhynchos) in the water very close to the trail i would have to take to return home. I certainly didn't mean to disturb them, as I know that they need all the resources they can muster in this cold winter.

Part of my deduces that they are setting up shop nearby to lay eggs and raise young too. And I definitely want to observe some of that. So I chose to walk slowly, albeit focused, to where I had to go. The male  made a move to take flight but I reassured him through ESP or quietly with my voice that I meant no harm. He definitely stood guard but chose to stay put as I veered away from the couple and toward my house.

They were certainly watchful, but I am glad that they decided I wasn't a threat. I have seen them three times in the past weeks and suspect that they'll be here through the spring. Looking forward to any chance I can observe them.

No comments:

Post a Comment