Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Moss Class (from February 7th)

Here is a make-up post. I took a Moss Class on Thursday, February 7th. I was exposed to a lot of new material with which I was not familiar. The woman next to me talked me through the different parts and talked to me like she was a high school Biology teacher (which she was).

The other woman sitting next to me  is a friend and we laughed at both having signed up for a 10am class... that is for the retired or fun-employed! Actually, we both have jobs... for the same non-profit in town; I work with the boys while she works with the girls and we actually worked together last fall at an after-school program too. Small world, huh? (This is a perfect realization for someone studying bryophytes and lichens.)

A crucial part of the day was buying a hand-lens with a built-in light... super helpful for studying mosses and lichens! I'm so glad I paid the extra $2! This was a good introduction into a world of Ecology about which I knew nothing. I still have a LONG way to go, but I feel good learning the basics and have two more weeks to learn. I will miss the field trip, but look forward to another chance to get outside with the instructor.

No comments:

Post a Comment