Friday, April 12, 2013

Amphibian Class Field Trip- Stimson Reserve


It's true. I signed up for a class because I have not had much work during the days. I did it for the lichens and mosses and now I've done it with amphibians. Just me and a whole slew of nice and kind retired folks delving into the slimy world of amphibians!

Frogs, Toads, Salamanders, Newts... those were on the menu. No, we didn't eat anything!

When I was in 8th grade, my science teacher, Mr. Anderson, gave me a newt because I thought they were so cool. I brought it home on a Thursday, it was dead the following Sunday night. I obviously didn't study its needs well enough. Sorry about that, newt. My brother, ages five, even asked in such a cute way, "Dave, where's the newt, Dave?" Dead and buried in the backyard.

So this was some redemption. and yet another taxonomy to study. Knowing very little, except seeing a tree frog attached to my window at age ten, I grew up with very little exposure to amphibians. There were reptiles about in southern California, but I didn't engage with too many moist-skinned creatures. Maybe I didn't hang out in the right outdoor spaces, maybe development in Irvine drove them all to local extinction.

After learning about so many local species in four hours of class time, we had a three hour field excursion to find them. As such, we went to a new place for me, the Stimson Family Nature Reserve, near Lake Whatcom. Some older trees in there made for rich habitat.

You find salamanders by flipping over rocks and logs... but make sure to put them back. After ten or more unsuccessful attempts, I finally saw a large one! My first instinct was to leave it alone, but I wanted to have a field specimen that we could all look at. So I grabbed it and brought it to the group. I finally caught a salamander in the wild. It looked like this:

 



Why, it's the Western Red-backed Salamander (Plethadon vehiculum) of course! In Bellingham, it is more yellow-backed than red-backed, but it is indeed the same species. It was about three inches long, from snout to vent (don't include the tail in the measurement). Though it was wriggly and fast-moving, we all got  a chance to see the dorsal stripe and even the "knee pads" what were the same color. Cool!

I caught a later, smaller one later in the day and may have injured its tail. I feel bad that my zeal for nabbing it may have caused injury, but it's leap from my notebook (at waist height) to the forest floor also didn't seem to bother it much. i should have put it back where I found it, but I was so excited to show the group that I tried to catch up and show them. A good learning experience; leave it where I find it!

Later we came across this Ensatina (Ensatina eschscoltzii). The constriction at the base of the tail is a characteristic that the tail will come off if grabbed by a predator. The tail will detach and wiggle in order to attract the attention of anything that is trying to eat the salamander.

We also went past a pond and someone found a Pacific Chorus Frog (Hyla regilla or Pseudacris regilla). We saw how brown it was compared to some of the greener individuals we studied. Cool! It brings my childhood back around for some closure. How wonderful!


What a great outdoor place to explore. As the sun faded away we ended the day happy and complete after having found some of the species we had studied. Here’s to an introduction to amphibians: Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment