Tuesday, April 30, 2013

from 4/22- Earth Day!

I meant to write this last week, then over the weekend and now it is already TUESDAY of the following week. Such is life. :)

Last Monday Michelle kidnapped me for an afternoon picnic. Her plan was to go to Boulevard Park, but when I realized what was going on, I insisted we drive a little further south along the coast. Instead of the city park, we found a county one and ended up in Teddy Bear Cove. Coincidentally, I had taken a group of 9 year old boys there the day before during a glorious afternoon. Monday’s excursion proved to be just as brilliant.

We had sandwiches and hummus and strawberries and white wine too J It was such a nice afternoon on the water as the day got later and later… and even at 7pm the sun was still tanning our faces. A slight spring chill came through and then we decided to leave.
It’s worth documenting the Coal Train too (at the bottom). It goes RIGHT along this pristine beach and coastline with uncovered cars, spewing coal dust along our bay, the Puget Sound, and the coast… you don’t have to live here to support and encourage more responsible behavior from business owners and private enterprise.
My air and water quality are not free… those businesses should pay for destroying the quality of life or simply find an alternative way. My preference would be that this type of business is recognized for its immorality and abuse of our earth. I have to voice my opinion and document what I see. This behavior is not responsible if we think about the generations who will (hopefully) come after us. I don’t have an answer, but I think we should work together to find one BEFORE this continues like it is.
From Dr. Seuss’s The Lorax, as the Brown Bar-ba-loots march off because they have no food, “I, the Once-ler felt sad as I watched them all go. BUT… business is business! And business must grow regardless of crummies in tummies, you know.” What if entire communities of human beings get sick and can't eat the food they grow because our businesses must grow and pollute our ecosystems and gardens in doing so?
The contrast of the beauty of a couple in love during an the happy afternoon picnic in paradise with the disgusting behavioral pattern of a sick society in need of desperate healing and insight is too stark to ignore. I am thankful for that entire sunny afternoon. We should not only celebrate and enjoy our world but recognize when we do it wrong. Happy Earth Day, Earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment