Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Birding while Cooking

I was cooking the other morning when I heard strange noises outside my kitchen window. I saw a gull (Larus glaucescens), and then a crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) and they were attacking each other. The crow was swooping at the gull, to which the gull responded with sharp beak jabs. Then it would make a call like, "One of you crows better get this guy away from me before I kill him." And sure enough, three crows heard the gull's cry and they chased off their kin! It's like they were taking care of the Napoleon-like cousin and got him out of there before he got himself into trouble. I use the pronoun "he" because it seemed like a masculine display to me.
 Said gull
 Said crow
Said crow stalking the gull before making a flying, leaping, attack!

No comments:

Post a Comment