Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Night life- raccoon, bat, and comet

I stumbled home from soccer last night because of a sore and injured body. It's hard getting older :)

All the sudden a critter crossed my saunter. A large bushy-tailed cat that seemed to be waddling in no particular hurry. I recognized her face mask immediately... Procyon lotor in my own backyard! Awesome.

It was taking a trajectory from the obvious food source (a dumpster with bags of food laying OUTSIDE of it from lazy construction workers) through the hedge in our backyard toward.... I am not sure where, maybe home.

If so, where is home for this raccoon? Are there newly born kits now too? Is this momma coon checking out a food source? She looked rather fat, is she pregnant? Was he a well-fed male? So many questions! But one thing is for sure... in the twilight and fading sunset at 9:15pm, she was on the move. And I have my spirit animal living in the neighborhood!

As I turned to go into the building and up the stairwell, I saw a flickering in the sky. Sure enough, bats are out and about too! With lots of insects in the evening (I got bit many times by mosquitoes while i my sit spot the other day) they should be well-fed through the rest of the spring and summer. Go, bats, go! Eat those mosi's!

And lastly, I swear we saw a comet last night too. Outside of Kulshan Brewery (for post-soccer unwinding) we looked into the west and saw a comet slowly making its way toward the horizon. Anyone know of a visible comet seen from Bellingham, Washington these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment